4.04.2009

#51) Bakeapple Blossoms

Click here for an update on this recipe :) - June 3rd, 2016.



I know, I've been away a while, eh? Well, with finishing up my internship and last weekend's wedding show get-away, I haven't spent that much time in the kitchen. But with yesterday being the last day of my internship I thought maybe I should bring in some treats as a thank you to the staff. I didn't want to make anything too fancy because I didn't have a lot of time, so I decided to make some scratch shortbread. But that wasn't enough - they needed something more. So I took out a bag of bakeapples given to me by a good friend and made some of my no-fail berry cake filling, sieved out the seeds, and poured in into indentations in the shortbread. The result was exactly what I was going for - a simple treat with a interesting twist. They were huge hit and will stay in my back pocket now as a go-to recipe :) The cake filling can be replaced with any fruity preserve you like, but if you have access to bakeapples I would give 'em a try!!!

Bakeapple Cake Filling

Ingredients

1 cup bakeapples
1/4 cup water
7 tbsp sugar (adjust according to the tartness of your berries)
2 tsp corn starch

Steps

-Boil berries with 3/4 of the water. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
-Push the cooked berries through a fine sieve, discarding the seeds.
-Whisk corn starch into remaining water. Add cornstarch mixture and sugar to berries.
-Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Let cool completely.

Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients

1 1/8 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour

Steps

- Combine butter, sugar and extract in mixer bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour, scraping often until well mixed.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour. Work together with hands upon removing from refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place them on silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Use a tsp measure to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Fill the indentation with a small dollop of your fruit filling.
- Bake for 14 - 18 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Place cookies in wire rack and cool completely.

12 comments:

  1. How simple yet so elegant. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too cute! What exactly is bakeapples? You have me curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sophie - Bakeapples, as they are called in Newfoundland and Labrador, are related to raspberries, but have a considerable tart taste. They smell wonderful and are very addictive! They are also called cloudberries.
    If you can get your hands on some I highly suggest it, but if not use any other kind of berry filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of bakeapples but now I know...this looks delicious, Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks veronica! they really are unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani, these are so adorable and sound really yummy!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies are gorgeous Dani :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. got your link from my flickr photos. been looking at your bakeapple recipes and we'll be giving this one a try in the next day or so. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for dropping by TM. these cookies were a huge hit with my coworkers. hope you enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete